Leaky Gut Syndrome is a term that describes a gut that is inflamed and has become much more porous than it should be. When this happens, large food proteins, bacteria, fungi, heavy metals and toxic substances are then able to permeate through the intestinal lining into our blood stream. Once in the blood stream our immune system is our only defense to deal with these substances and it can and will eventually become sluggish if the problem is not rectified.
Our intestinal lining replaces itself approximately every 24 hours. This means that every cell that the lining is composed of is digested or sloughed off, and a new one grows to take its place. With all of this activity, the gut uses more blood when it is resting than any other organ, but it is also the first to lose its blood supply when in a stressed situation. If you have a lot of stress then your gut will always be starved for blood and the lining will be impaired.
Once the gut lining becomes inflamed or damaged, this disrupts the functioning of the system. The leaks in the gut lining due to the inflammation and other damaging culprits allow large food, environmental and chemical particles to be absorbed into the body. Normally the body sees only very tiny antigens. When it begins to see these very large ones, the system recognizes them as foreign to the body’s defense system. So the attack results in the production of antibodies against once harmless, innocuous foods, chemicals and other allergens.
Other diseases and symptoms stemming from Leaky Gut Syndrome or LGS, including allergies can be sinusitis, asthma, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Fibromyalgia, Candidiasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Crohn’s Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), gas and/or bloating, slow thought process and/or poor memory (brain fog), headaches, fluid retention, weight gain, arthritis, Vascular problems, Lupus, Thyroid Disease, reflux, food intolerance and many other gastric disturbances.
So, what can you do to aid in the prevention of Leaky Gut Syndrome?
1. Avoid alcohol and caffeine which irritate the gut wall, this includes cokes (diet and regular), chocolate, coffee, cocoa and tea (except herbal).
2. Handle food properly to avoid contamination of E. coli and other harmful and sometimes deadly bacteria’s.
3. Avoid chemicals found in processed and fermented foods (dyes and preservatives), wine, vinegar, soy sauce, tofu, etc.
4. Eliminate?refined sugars and other simple carbohydrates (candy, cookies, sodas, processed foods and white bread) from the diet.
5. Cook foods thoroughly to avoid parasitic infections (pork, chicken, beef, fresh water and hatchery fish). Do a parasite cleanse every six months. You worm your pets don’t you? Why not yourself? Hmmmmm. Something to think about.
6. Keep antibiotic use to an absolute minimum. Use natural alternatives. Antibiotic use causes an overgrowth of fungi (yeast) in the gut. Always use a probiotic when using an antibiotic to replace the good gut flora that the antibiotic destroys. Eat plain yogurt. Do a Candida cleanse also if necessary.
7. Eliminate animal products that have been fed hormones and antibiotics from your diet.
8. Be extremely cautious using any steroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs and cremes.
9. Detoxify your system. Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of pure water every day before you reach for any other drink, then have the soda if you absolutely feel you must. (150 lbs. ¸ 2 = 75 oz. daily).
10. Provide your body with a healthy diet and supplemental protocol if needed to aid in healing.
11. Contact your local natural healthcare practitioner if you suspect you suffer from LGS or need guidance in the process of healing.
A live blood and dry layer cell analysis can detect Leaky Gut Syndrome and other causative factors listed above within minutes of your visit. At that time recommendations are given to get you on your way to DISCOVERING WELLNESS!
You can find quality supplements that I recommend through Nutrition Works in Rockford and The Bread of Life Store in Belvidere. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Dr. Kimberly's reputation in health and wellness spans across the United States bringing healing to thousands of people over the past 25 years. Her private formula's have stood the test of time in achieving optimal results from everything from the common cold to many types of cancer. There is not an illness known to mankind that she will not fight.